In this article, we are going to discuss attaching a managed data disk to Windows Virtual Machine. You can attach a number of data disks depending on the size of your Virtual Machine. To attach a managed data disk to your Virtual Machine, follow the steps given below.
To go with this article user should need a valid Azure Subscription and some knowledge on
- Virtual Machine
- Data Disk
Adding a data disk
- Log in with your Azure account in Azure Portal using www.portal.azure.com.
- In Azure Portal navigate to Virtual Machine panel that appears on the left side menu.
- Select a Virtual Machine from your list.
- Navigate to the Virtual Machine page and click on Disks and select Add Data Disk.
- Select Create Disk from drop down option.
- In create disk panel name your disk as DemoDisk and leave the rest of settings to default then click on create.
- After the process completion navigate to Disk panel and click on save.
- Now you can notice that the created disk is listed.
Initializing the new data disk
- Navigate to the overview page of Virtual Machine and click on connect.
- Connect to the Virtual Machine by downloading the RDP file and providing the respective credentials.
- After entering the Virtual Machine navigate to the Disk Management page by searching in the start menu.
- A pop-up window will appear for the disk initialization click on OK to initialize it.
- Identify the disk created by you. It will appear as unallocated.
- Right-click anywhere and select the simple volume option from the drop-down.
- In the simple new volume, wizard panel, proceed through keeping all the setting to default and complete. A pop-up window will appear which notify you to format the disk. After the process completes click on ok.
- Close the disk management.